Hello, and thanks for stopping by. Here’s a little bit about the things I do.
I am an investigative reporter for the Rochester (NY) Democrat and Chronicle, part of the USA Today Network. I write about public safety trends and the impact of technology for Gannett papers across New York state, and participate in national projects with the USA Today investigations team. I have won awards for my reporting on gun violence, sexual abuse of children within the Catholic church, campaign finance, and breaking news coverage. Prior to joining the USA Today Network, I was a sports reporter and columnist with the New York Sun.
- Award-winners and other selected articles
- Recent articles in the D&C
- Recent articles in USA Today
- New York Sun articles (partial archive)
I created and maintain the Lahman Baseball Database, an open-source collection of baseball statistics. I was an editor or contributor for more than a dozen sports reference books, including several editions of the ESPN Baseball Encyclopedia and Total Baseball: The Official Encyclopedia of Major League Baseball. I also serve as data projects manager for SABR, the Society of American Baseball Research.
- Download the Lahman Baseball Database
- Index of online baseball guides
- Baseball in the Age of Big Data – 2013 SABR presentation
- Pete Rose case files
- The Baseball Archive
- I’ve written or edited many books.
- I’m an occasional speaker and panelist on the subjects of big data and the open source movement.