Please be aware that some of the pages here have not been updated since 2002 and don’t reflect events that may have transpired since then.
- Answers to frequently asked questions about Pete Rose – last updated December 16, 2002.
- Rose/Giamatti Agreement - Text of the final agreement between Rose and Giamatti. This five page document was part of a fax sent to all Major League clubs at 9:00 AM EDT on August 24, 1989. (also available: a PDF copy of the original document)
- Giamatti’s Statement - The prepared remarks of Commissioner A. Bartlett Giamatti for the press conference announcing the agreement.
- Major League Rule 21 – Defines and describes “misconduct” and the applicable penalties. A copy of this rule is posted in every Major League clubhouse.
These are just a few items from the Dowd Report, the ones that are most often referenced.
- Betting Slip #1 of 3 - alleged to show Rose’s bets for 4/8/87 and 4/9/87
- Betting Slip #2 of 3 - alleged to show Rose’s bets for 4/10/87 and 4/11/87
- Check from Rose to Gioiosa – the smoking gun that links Rose to Ron Peters, the bookie Rose claimed he didn’t know. Peters claimed he stopped taking Rose’s bets because he owed $34,000. When Peters told him this, Rose exploded, claiming that he had given Tommy Gioiosa a check for that amount, and that Gioiosa must have stiffed them both. Peters said that Rose showed him a copy of this check as a gesture of good faith, and it turned up later when Rose turned over his bank records.
Other Sources of Information
- Evaluating the Dowd Report – A thorough review by Derek Zumsteg of the Baseball Prospectus.
- Some Reflections on Pete Rose – Gene Carney, 1995
- Say It Ain’t So Pete – Article by Gerald Posner that appeared in the September 1990 issue of Penthouse magazine.
- Collision at Home Plate : The Lives of Pete Rose and Bart Giamatti – information on James Reston’s book from amazon.com
- Hustle: The Myth, Life, and Lies of Pete Rose – information on Michael Sokolove’s book from amazon.com
- Official Statement Regarding Pete Rose – from the Baseball Hall of Fame